I’m a lifelong southerner with a penchant for storytelling. I worked for over a dozen years as a creative writer, graphic artist, photographer, PR and marketing guru, grantwriter, social advocate, and agent of change (or some combination therein) with McGraw-Hill, Inc., Nortel Networks, Theatre In The Park, WRAL.com, and the AAS-C. My work as a freelance writer and photographer has appeared in Our State Magazine, The Apex Herald, The Cary News, Nerivio, Chatham News & Record, Chatham Magazine, and the North Carolina Literary Review. I’m an adjunct instructor in the Creative Writing Programs at Wake Technical Community College and Central Carolina Community College. And also super fun, I’m a book reviewer with BookPage and All About Romance.
I write contemporary romance and romantic suspense under the name Becky Moore, and I’m pleased to report that despite the most grandiose, exhilarating, strange, and unlikely plot I can come up with, every story has a happy ending. I write children’s literature under the name Dolly Dozier, and my first story, Peggy Noodle, Hula Hoop Queen, was an Amazon bestseller. After a life-altering accident in July 2012, resulting in a TBI and a long recovery, I am happy to once again be writing! I’m still re-calibrating my voice, but the characters and the settings and the plots are finally ready to break free. Bookshelves … here I come!
I live in the wilds of central North Carolina with my husband and our teenage son, along with our beagle, Magnolia May. When I’m not writing or telling stories, I like to spend time outdoors hiking, kayaking, cycling, swimming, gardening, and traveling with my boys.
Check out my:
Read about me here:
- North Carolina Literary Review | Dolly R. Sickles is the winner of the 2022 Randall Kenan Prize for her interview essay “Examining ‘Otherness’ on the Page and in the Classroom with Michele Tracy Berger.”
- Chatham Arts Council | JumpstART Grant Awarded to 15 Local Artists
- Chatham News & Record | Chatham author’s new novel takes on a corrupt politician
- Creativity Sparks | Peggy Noodle, Hula Hoop Queen
- Chatham Arts Council | Meet These Artists: Author Dolly Sickles and Her Son, Peyton, A Photographer
- Chatham News & Record | First-time chicken farmers share ups, downs of a backyard flock
- Chatham News & Record | Chatham writers carry on, make creative use of time in quarantine
- Chatham News & Record | Despite initial resistance to the genre, romance books shape local writer’s world
- Chatham News & Record | NaNoWriMo could help nudge a novel
- NCSU Red & White for Life | Novelist causes ‘hoopla’ with her first children’s novel
- WRAL | Apex mom pens children’s book about hula hoop-loving girl
Connect with me online:
- Linked In | Dolly R. Sickles
- Facebook | drsickles
- Twitter | @drsickles
- Goodreads | Dolly Sickles
- Frolic | Dolly Sickles
- Bookpage | Dolly R. Sickles
- Goodreads | Becky Moore
- Amazon | Becky Moore
- Amazon | Dolly Dozier
Dolly R. Sickles is a lifelong storyteller with a penchant for humor, optimism, and hyperbole. She lives and works in Chatham County as a freelance journalist, novelist, photographer, painter, creative writing instructor, and grantwriter. When she’s not working on projects, she enjoys hiking, swimming, gardening, and adventuring with her husband, son, and their Jane Russell Terrier, Daisy Marmalade.
Check out our family Travel Blog:
The Three Adventurers
And our son’s blog:
The Practical Filmofile