I’ve had such a great time working with people in the community as an adjunct instructor for the last couple of years. Whether it’s teaching students about writing grants to fund the important work they’re doing in the community, or helping them achieve their goal of writing their first works of fiction, it’s exciting to share my two decades of knowledge and experience in the corporate and non-profit worlds (in the technology, arts, media, and communicable diseases industries). Depending on where you live in the Piedmont region, and what class is happening when you’ve got time to participate, here’s how you can participate at either Central Carolina Community College or Wake Technical Community College.
I teach three classes, either in a single-day workshop format, or a traditional seven-week session.
- Introduction to Grantwriting: Students learn the basics of writing a grant in a hands-on, workshop-style setting. We will cover the different components of grants, and learning to set and maintain a workable grant cycle, building a successful grants management program, developing a logic model, tracking possibilities in the business community, and applying good storytelling to a successful program. (Get in touch if you’d like for me to work directly with your organization.)
- Writing for Young Audiences: Students develop and begin writing a manuscript for a children’s book during the classwork workshop periods. Additionally, we discuss the business of writing for children, including how to identify publishers, how to write a query and synopsis, and how to market your work.
- The Business of Writing Romance: Students will develop & begin writing a romance book manuscript. Instruction will focus on the craft of writing, along with elements of style (plot, characterization, setting) and process (outlining, etc.). Business discussion includes identifying publishers, preparing queries & submissions, and self vs traditional publishing.
Active classes | Spring 2019
- Writing for Young Audiences : CCCC : March 20 – May 8
- The Business of Writing Romance : WTCC : Saturday, April 27